Recognizing Responsible Foodware and Waste reduction efforts
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Businesses can receive an “Earth-Friendly” window decal by completing the following steps:
WASTE REDUCTION REQUIREMENTS
Use only reusable foodware* for onsite dining. (*Foodware includes dinnerware, drinkware, silverware, containers, and other items as defined in the proposed Foodware/Waste Reduction Ordinance.)
- Provide disposable foodware by request only for takeout/to-go orders.
- Use only natural fiber-based compostable and BPI-certified (or other third-party certified) disposable foodware, free of “forever chemicals,” for takeout/to-go orders.
- Apply a standard charge at point of sale for disposable foodware items. (Such as a 25¢ charge per cup, container, or bag as outlined in the proposed Foodware/Waste Reduction Ordinance.)
- Allow takeout/to-go orders in customer-provided reusable foodware and apply a standard discount when they do. (Such as a 25¢ discount per cup, container, or bag, as outlined in the proposed Foodware/Waste Reduction Ordinance.)
- Follow “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rot (compost)” practices throughout establishment before sending any waste material to landfill; include proper, standardized labels on receptacles.
- Use only paper bags or customer-provided bags for takeout/to-go orders.
ADDITIONAL STEPS (Choose at least 3)
- Prioritize working with local vendors, when possible.
- Reduce water consumption in front and back of the house. (i.e. Install low-flow faucets and toilets and auto-off faucet; Offer drinking water by request only; Don’t hose down outside to reduce urban runoff.)
- Use non-toxic cleaners.
- Conserve energy. (i.e. Upgrade lighting and equipment to save energy; switch to LED lighting; install solar panels; use Energy Star-certified appliances.)
- Follow other climate-oriented business practices. (i.e. Offer transit vouchers to employees and install bike racks to encourage alternative transport; Reduce food waste by donating excess to food recovery organizations; Make the switch from fossil fuel by choosing the “deep green” renewable energy option offered by MCE through PG&E.)
- Sell beverages that are not in plastic bottles.
- Sell/rent for deposit reusables on site. (i.e. foodware containers, travel mugs/cups, bags.)
Decals now available for eateries and drinkeries in Napa County meeting our program requirements.
‘Earth-Friendly’ Decals Promote Climate-minded Businesses
A New Designation for Drinking and Dining with Greater Peace of Mind
November 1, 2022 – From fancy and famous to “grab and go” and delivery, Napa Valley offers a broad range of options for enjoying food and drink, and as a world-renowned food and wine destination has become synonymous with setting a higher standard. Napa Climate NOW!’s Waste Reduction Issue Team thinks it’s high time for that standard to be extended to the plate itself and has launched an eye-catching “Earth-Friendly” badge of honor to recognize and promote establishments that commit to more sustainable foodware practices.
For more information and/or to request your decal fill out the Napa Climate NOW! Waste Reduction Issue Team request form below.